New enhancements in Petrel 2016.2 include the following.
- Prestack SEGY loader has been revamped with new functionalities to provide robust and flexible handling of a wider range of file format descriptions. Main new features include access to custom trace header attributes; preview plot of seismic data traces, gather locations, and data grid definitions; support of spare gather geometry; and gather with variable folds or traces with variable length.
- The Mixer, an intuitive and interactive visualization tool, now supports any type of interpretation (horizon, faults, and multi-z). A data-weighted blend workflow has been introduced to enable blending three or more attributes for detailed stratigraphic and structural interpretation.
- Interactive mesh editing now allows editable sphere shape creation and snap to another editable mesh or surface workflow. Free-directional push and pull is enabled, ensuring accurate and precise manipulation of the editable triangle mesh.
- Microseismic now has an improved and simplified event filter editor interface. Three new interactive microseismic events selection modes have been introduced.
- Seismic Well Tie has been significantly improved and extended, allowing wavelet-based filtering and parameter synchronization, signal-to-noise ratio deterministic wavelet extraction for synthetic goodness of fit, seismic along wellbore for deviated wells, and multiwell synthetic workflows. Reflection coefficient generation with and without multiples has been introduced.
- Wavelet Equalization is a wavelet conditioning tool that enables correcting the wavelet in datasets to true zero phase and stabilizing any residual variation in space.
- Bayesian-based litho classification and prediction workflow can now be applied to 2D poststack seismic data.
- Extended Elastic Impedance (EEI) is now part of Petrel Quantitative Interpretation module, enabling a comprehensive EEI workflow at log scale and seismic scale for fluid and lithology prediction. The EEI correlation tool is used for intuitively exploring the best chi projection angle.
- New time lapse analysis domain tab introduced in the Advanced Geophysics perspective enables logical work steps for comprehensive Seismic Reservoir Monitoring workflows.
- Reservoir Elastic Modeling (REM) takes into account pore fluid effects and calculates elastic properties of fluid-saturated rock from the Simulation case.
Geology & modeling
- Petrel Exploration Geology now includes 3D simulation preview, 3D erosion, kinetics, components and reactions editing, and advanced facies definitions.
- 1D petroleum systems modeling can be run multiple times using the workflow editor.
- Stratigraphic charts are editable directly in the Stratigraphic chart window.
- The Geotime window has been improved, enabling multiplot crossline pointer and connected plots.
- Play and prospect assessment now includes segment-level volumetrics combined with a connection to the database for GeoX exploration risk, resource, and value assessment software.
- Geopolygon support has been added for map-based volumetrics, contacts, regions, local model update, and geometrical modeling.
- Structural modeling now handles complex stratigraphy all the way through to depospace and gridding including base-on-base truncations.
- Structural fault analysis tools enable analysis of the full geological extent of stair-step faults.
- Quality assurance maps enable flexible reporting and analysis of structural frameworks and stair-step grids.
- Geosteering workflows now include target lines and bit position readouts.
- Isochore gridding has been improved to handle proximity to zero contour.
- Explicit trajectory option is now available to load well paths generated in other applications.
- Cross-section reversal supports 2D lines, 3D in-lines and crosslines, arbitrary lines, georeferenced images, open and closed polygons, and existing cross sections.
- Background points can be displayed, edited, and used in the well section window to control surfaces and grids.
Petroleum engineering (reservoir and production engineering)
- Production forecasting using decline curve analysis (DCA) or type wells can be conducted for selected phases of interest, noisy data can be excluded, and analysis parameters can be manipulated for best fit. Supported analysis methods now include Arps, stretched exponential, Duong, and power law.
- Analytical simulation provides a simple workflow to generate analytical simulation cases using existing pressure or rate information to predict production potential with limited reservoir information.
- Alignment of the ECLIPSE industry-reference reservoir simulator and INTERSECT high-resolution reservoir simulator provides reverse engineering of WELSPECS and WELSPECL keywords, WSEGAICD, hybrid initialization, grid edits support for DS, ZMF arrays, thermal dead oil, and IXF edits compatibility with a new editor within the Petrel platform.
- Results charting for the display of simulation events has a workflow editor compatible with both observed and simulation rates and pressures.
- U&O data center has a flexible system of case filters to quickly conduct data mining and access cases and information of interest, with direct accessibility to analysis tools to improve usability and evaluate progress in history match and prediction workflows.
- Reservoir calibration can use industry-standard and Schlumberger patented rate transient analysis techniques.
- Flexible units for reservoir engineering enables defining simulation input data in a different unit system from that in other domains by independently setting or customizing the unit system in supported dialog boxes and spreadsheets. Laboratory units are also now supported in Petrel RE.
- 3D results analysis is facilitated by one-button-click generation of multiple 3D windows, based on analysis purpose and based on case.
- Dual-scale modeling has been extended to all stair-step structural grids, including complex fault cases, and incorporates both blocked well log and layer-mapped 3D property upscaling.
- Trajectory Planning replaces the Well Path Design module and now also includes functionality of Well Positioning, Well Construction, Mud Weight Prediction, and Relief Well Simulation that enables drilling engineers to collaborate with G&G staff and deliver a drillable well trajectory suitable for detailed engineering.
- Coupling of the VISAGE finite-element geomechanics simulator and INTERSECT simulator allows fully automatic two-way coupling (permeability updating) on structured grids.
- VISAGE simulator’s deflation solver has been introduced to provide significant performance improvements.
- Generalized strain boundary condition is consistent with 1D mechanical earth model calibration and removes the necessity of modeling the overburden and side burdens.
- Quick MEM is an integrated process to quickly calculate 3D dynamic and static mechanical properties from well logs, seismic data, or both.
- Mud Weight Predictor provides wellbore stability postprocessing for 3D geomechanics models created using Petrel Geomechanics.
- Direct Guru content access is now available from the Domain tabs, linking straight through to key content for the related domain workflow or step being working on.
- Quality reporting has been enriched to now have more than 50 predefined tests, across all domains, for conducting quality assurance, tracking, guidance, auditing, and reporting at all steps of the Petrel workflow.
- Usability and reporting features have also been enhanced to filter and sort reports, link to data objects from reports, output reports in PDF format, use playlists including queuing, and enable QA/QC workflows.
Studio E&P knowledge environment
- 3D grids and properties are now supported in the Studio environment for enhanced collaboration between geoscientists and petroleum engineers.
- Data table improvements bring extended functionality in both the Project and Repository Data Tables, including a sync status column and synchronize stratigraphy option.
- Studio environment work steps are now included in the Workflow Editor to enable automated data tagging and transfers.
- New well model is fully supported, including trajectory types for well surveys and plans and also new sidetrack or lateral wells.
- Microseismic and treatment data, geopolygons, drilling, and production have been added to the Find workflows.
- Significant performance improvements across multiple aspects of the Studio environment include that horizon interpretation transfers are now 6 to 10 times faster and indexing large volumes of data is considerably faster.
- Blocked Data app allows the data manager to block data from reentering the Studio environment.